Monday, January 21, 2013

Latest Updates: Def Jam, Grammys, Lakewood, Reach Records

Since finishing Marathon and the Grammy Nomination announcements, during which we learned that we are nominated for Best Gospel Album Grammy for our songwriting and production work on Lecrae's Gravity, it has been a madhouse on my end. Def Jam South stepped up and offered me an artist deal, and gave us an insane deadline to get the project done to have it on shelves prior to the Grammys. We've spent the time since then working like crazy to get it all done. Once all the details are resolved, I'll share the full story of how that all came about, but suffice it to say that JayTel and I went to ATL a month ago for other, unrelated business, and walked out with a 7 figure recording contract offer from one of the biggest labels in the world, for a CHRISTIAN album, nonetheless. Shout out to my big bro Rod Anthony, and my publicist and friend Makasha for connecting the dots. God has done it again. The first single, "Enough", which was written, arranged, and produced by thebridge (Ty Steez, Aphillyated, JayTel, and myself) goes to radio this Thursday, and the album is (as of now) scheduled to be released March 5. I know these dates are malleable based upon when the label feels the project has the best chance to impact, but that's what we're looking at now.

The album release party for Marathon will be held in Houston the same week of the album release, with one in ATL tba soon. I'm looking forward to both; the one here in the H, my friends and family can be here to share in what God is doing, and we get to bring a bit of major label glitter to a city that has done without it for far too long (as Def Jam will have reps here for the party as well as street teams around the city promoting the project, and some of the Houston Gospel and Christian artists, radio, and multimedia elite will be in attendance), while the one in Atlanta will be off the chain due to our fam Lecrae, Street. R. Swift (who appears on my album, on the song "Just Because"), and the whole Reach Records fam being there, as well as that being where Def Jam South is headquartered, so who knows what artists from the label may come out to support (quite a few, from what I'm told)? It's an incredible feeling, one I couldn't have imagined in my wildest dreams. For any of you guys who may read this, when this one is announced, you won't wanna miss it, trust me.

We are heading to LA in less than 2 weeks for the 55th Annual Grammy Awards ceremony and festivities, a trip for which I've been waiting and believing God for my whole life. We're up for Best Gospel Album for Gravity, and have a very good chance of winning; this isn't our first award at all, but it will be our first Grammy, and for any kid who grew up like I did, loving music and wanting to be the best at it, a Grammy is a very public validation that you have reached a certain level with your craft. We'll hit the industry parties and spend time with our thebridge teammates, Ty Steez and Big Phil, who live in the area, and celebrate together what God has done and is doing in our lives and careers in advance of Marathon's launch.

I've also been blessed to become a part of the Lakewood Church family, by the Grace of God...God placed me upon the spirit of Lakewood Men's Director Pastor John Bowman, who brought me to the leadership team to help with Outreach (exactly what God called me to do when He called me to pastorship) without ever having met me before, and has taken me under his wings to establish other Divine Connections to assist in doing what God has given me to do. I've been blessed thru his guidance to link with Robert Ortiz III, Associate Pastor Lisa Osteen Coomes, Evangelist Debra George, Rev Antonio Smith, and my sister Reggie Kerr, all people with great hearts who have a tangible passion for the saving of souls and for advancing the Kingdom. I'm glad to be able to count them all as part of my spiritual family, and am looking forward to everything that God is doing by linking me with Lakewood. There will be some major announcements on that front here very soon as well. #SPEAKTHOSETHINGS

Let me digress for a moment, because I feel that this blog may be the most appropriate place to address this:  I've had several of my friends, mainly black Christian friends, make negative comments to me over the last few weeks about their perceptions of "mega-churches", since they've seen me talking on facebook about what God is doing at Lakewood. The most common criticism is that "a church that big isn't a church, it's a business", or that the leadership at the church "must be" disconnected from those who attend. Let me say, once and for all, that this couldn't be farther from the truth. I've spent the past few weeks at the side of the leadership of this church, and have seen, with my own eyes, more heart, more compassion, and more consideration shown by these pastors and leaders than I have in my lifetime at most of the smaller churches I've been a part of. They take out time to get to know those who come into contact with them, and make themselves available thru the various ministries at the church (men's, women's, singles, young adults, etc) for anyone to have access to them and their wisdom. They provide opportunities for those who want to work and grow, and have a zeal for witnessing that you wouldn't believe. There is a warmth and love there that people just don't get to see while watching on television. And I'll say something else, if the criteria for a thriving, Spirit filled church is souls coming to Christ, Lakewood definitely fits that bill as well. Don't believe everything you see on tv or that you hear. Every church isn't for everybody, but for those who are here in Houston or visiting, give it a chance. You might be surprised at what you find.

Album Cover for my debut Christian album, Marathon
God is doing some amazing things in my life and that of my team. We are now still shoring up funding for some of the things we are seeking to do with Marathon (effective promotion isn't about the product as much as it is the money to let people KNOW about the product), and gearing up for touring once the album is released. We're also working with our Reach family on their future projects (Tedashii, Derek Minor, Lecrae's Church Clothes 2), and have already landed a song we co-produced with my big bro Street Symphony and his Heat Academy team called "Curious" on the debut album from Christian Hip Hop artist Andy Mineo, Heroes For Sale, which drops April 16, 2013. This album is going to be HUGE....another Billboard #1 charting album for us all.

2012 was the year of destiny. 2013 begins the season of prosperity; a season I am believing God will last for generations. To God be all the glory!! #thebridgelife

No comments:

Post a Comment